Facing the serious 2019 Novel Coronavirus or 2019 – nCoV or Wuhan virus, many people come to question how to travel safely during the Coronavirus outbreak or should they just stay at home and shut a door? Of course, it is not recommended to join the crowd this serious time, but if you still have plans to go or the need to travel for business or else, the important thing is to keep yourself safe from the virus. Keep in mind the following precautions of safe travel and follow them as strictly as you can.
#1: Five Fundamental Keys to Reducing Your Risk of Coronavirus Infection
According to WHO, here are the five keys to help protect yourself and people around against the Coronavirus:
- Clean hands with water and soap or alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing with a tissue or flexed elbow.
- Avoid close contact with people who have cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Eat thoroughly-cooked meat and eggs.
- Do not make any unprotected contact with live wild animals.
#2: Other Precautions to Take against Coronavirus Outbreak
First, try to limit your presence in crowded places. This means you’d better avoid the crowded areas, but if you must, remember to wear a facemask against Coronavirus. In other places like the elevator, train station, or bus station, you should wear the cloth that covers your shoulders and limit the touch as well as speaking. Clean and disinfect the frequently-touched surfaces and objects at home. If possible, it’s good to keep a distance of at least 0.5-1 meter with other people.
Next, take notices if coughing and sneezing. When you cough or sneeze, please use the tissue to cover your nose and mouth. Then, clean your mouth and throw the used tissue into the trash. After that, remember to wash your hands again. You’re advised NOT to use hands to touch your face frequently and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Especially, keep your body warm (the neck, nose, and palm). When sleeping, adjust the temperature above 25 Celsius degree (advisably, 27 Celsius degree.
#3: Big Warnings about the Facemask against Coronavirus
- If you need to go to crowded places, use the mask with 3 layers.
- Do not reuse the mask that has been removed off the face.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 minutes or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol, BEFORE wearing the mask. If the hand is not sanitized but touches the inside layer of the mask, DO NOT use that mask.
- When removing the facemask off the face, use your hands to pull out the two strings of the mask. The removed mask should not be reused. Please use a new mask.
How to Travel Safely during the Coronavirus Outbreak? Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent 2019-nCoV infection. Therefore, the most effective way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. So, the key point is to avoid all non-essential travel to China, Warning Level 3, recommended by CDC (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). If you feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing (especially if you were in China in the last 14 days), call medical care right away to tell them your symptoms and avoid contact with other people. This will help prevent 2019-nCoV from spreading to other members of your home and community. Although there have not been any reports or confirmation of pets or other animals getting sick with 2019-nCoV, it’s best to avoid contact with animals and wear a facemask if you must care for a pet or be around animals. We should keep the daily habits that can help prevent the spread of the virus until we know more.